This week we wanted to do something a little bit different and share some of our favourite nut-free recipes, that still have a nutty taste. These flavours are brought to the table by the addition of hemp seed, which is non-allergenic and also highly nutritious.
If you want to learn more about the nutritional properties of hemp seed before digging in, you can check out our previous blog post on the topic right here!
So without further ado, here are our top 5 Nut-Free Hemp recipes that you can try today.
1. Hemp Stuffed Mushroom’s
*Makes approx 6 to 8 servings
* 24 med to large mushrooms
* 3 to 4 tbs olive oil
* 3 to 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
* 2 to 3 shallots, chopped thinly
* zest of 1 lemon
* 2 to 3 sprigs fresh parsley
* 2 tomatoes chopped
* 1 teas mirin
* 1 teas white miso dissolved in 2 tbs warm water
* pinch of dried rosemary and thyme
* 1/4 cup hulled Hemp seeds
* 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
* pinch sea salt
Preheat oven to 200c
Wipe the mushrooms clean and remove stems.
Chop stems and put aside
Rub each mushroom with a little olive oil and place stem side up on baking paper.
Bake for approx 3 min, remove and set aside to cool.
Place remaining oil in pan, add garlic and shallots, gently fry together.
Add lemon zest, parsley, miso, mirin, tomatoes, rosemary and thyme, sauce for 2 min.
Remove from heat and stir in Hemp seeds and 1/2 breadcrumbs.
Fill mushrooms, and top with any left over breadcrumbs.
Bake for approx 10 min or until tender.
2. Hemp Thai Salad
* approx 1/4 red cabbage sliced.
* 1 carrot granted or julienne
* 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
* handful of chopped coriander leaves and stem
* 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
* 1/4 brown rice syrup
* 2 tbs soy sauce
* 3 tbs vinegar of your choice
* 1 tbs grated orange zest
* 1 inch grated ginger
* 1 glove minced garlic
* pinch chilli powder
Combine all dressing ingredients in a glass jar, shake together, or you can do a quick blitz in your food processor.
Toss gently dressing and salad ingredients, marinate for approx 30 min before serving.
3. Hempy Baba Ghanoush
This traditional Middle Eastern favourite gets an extra burst of nutrition and nutty flavour from hempseed. Packed with essential fatty acids.
* 2 medium eggplants
* 1/2 chopped parsley
* juice od 2 fresh lemons
* 1/4 cup hulled Hemp seed
* 1 tbs hempseed oil
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* salt and pepper pinch
Preheat oven to 200c
Prick eggplant with fork approx 5 or 6 times
Place in the oven for 45 to 60 min or until skins pierce easily with a fork.
Once cooled, slice in half and scoop out flesh into a food processor.
Add all remaining ingredients.
Puree until smooth
Adjust seasoning to your taste.
4. Hemp Hummus
- ¼ cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tin chick peas, drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 small garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- ¼ cup hemp seed oil/olive oil
- Blend all ingredients together, except oils
- Slowly add oils, to mixture, while machine still working, add more oil, to make smooth consistency.
…And then put it in a container. You’re good to go!
5. Hemp and Black Bean Dip
- 2 x black bean tins, drained and rinsed(reserve ¼ cup of liquid)
- 3 tbs Hemp seed hulled
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 x garlic gloves
- 1 x tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs lime squeezed
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Cook onion and garlic together with a splash of olive oil
- Add spices and salt until fragrant, add a little water if too dry
- Pulse blend all cooked and dry ingredients, except hemp seeds
- Add hemp seeds and mix together, could add fresh chopped tomato too if wished.
- Enjoy, keep healthy
We would love to see your photos of these when you give them a go, so be sure to tag us in any social media posts you make containing your creations!
If you enjoyed learning how to put together these incredibly tasty (and equally healthy) hemp recipes, consider signing up to our 14-Day HempCo Cooking Challenge! Here, you’ll have one hemp recipe delivered to your inbox every day for two weeks. You can jump on board here